Sunday, November 11, 2012

Friendship Is Magic

(Simply because I couldn't think of a better way to start this post, and when I thought of it I just couldn't resist...)

Dear Princess Celestia,
I've learned a lot of lessons about friendship in the past year. I've learned that the best friends are the ones who know all your annoying habits and faults and still love you; who can disagree with you without judging you; who can make you laugh even when you're crying; who can all tease and laugh at each other endlessly, but still know when to be serious. I've learned that it's possible for quite an eclectic collection of personalities and quirks to all get along wonderfully. Well, maybe not always wonderfully...but even when things go wrong, we always find ourselves laughing together again before we know it. I've learned that sometimes the least expected things bring people together; anything from a madman with a box to putting on a silly musical. I've learned that I wouldn't rather spend my college years with anyone other than the grandma, the Italian, the idiot, the squatter*, and the whole gang. I love living with people who are equally prone to both literary discussions and tickle fights; people who will burst into Disney songs with me; people who will be equally willing to talk about Doctor Who or Crime and Punishment with me; people who will pray with me.

More than anything, I've learned that the best and truest friends are the ones who push you to be a better person and do more to help you than they probably know. They'll poke fun at your tastes, your clumsiness, how bad you are at telling jokes, etc., but when push comes to shove they're right there. There's always one to give a hug, one for advice, one for a laugh, and one for the bossy tough love that we all need sometimes. I love each and every one of them and I'm starting to really hope that none of them read this because I'm getting pretty mushy now. In the case that any of them do: get your butts back to work, losers.
In short, I'm so blessed to be where I am right now and with the people that I am. I hope to hold on to them for many years to come.
Love,
Katie

P.S.
To the ones who've left, for their various reasons: we miss you guys! All of the above goes for you too. Particularly a certain short David Tennant-loving girl with lip rings. We're lost without your reliable wit, solid sense and gift for seeing straight through us. For the love of pandas, please visit us soon!

*Nicknames, to just clarify for anyone who may be confused by the sometimes mean things we call each other.

1 comment: