Friday, September 7, 2012

So Far, So Good

   Checking back in after the first week and a half of classes to say that it was a pretty darn good first week and a half of classes. Let's take it one by one...
West Civ II: (That's the history class I'm taking, for non-UDers.) This one will be no piece of cake but it's not the devil either .For one thing, the professor's not as scary as I thought. In fact, I actually like him. For another, NO PAPERS!
Italian: Molto bene, sempre. Questo semestre preparo per Roma e io sono una precetorre, cui sara interessante.*
Principles Of American Politics: Surprisingly enough, I don't hate this class! In fact, so far I'm rather enjoying it. Maybe it's just the professor, who is a new favorite of mine. Or maybe it's that I feel superior, considering 90% of the class are freshmen. In any case, there is definitely hope for this one.
Lit Trad IV: The lit course. I. Love. This. Class. In contrast to the first two semesters which were mostly epic poetry, this time around it's novels; in other words, my literary bread and butter. Extra bonus points for starting off with Mansfield Park by my first classic love, Jane Austen. This class and this professor (Waterman-Ward for any UDers reading) are reminding me why I'm an English major and why I love stories so much. More on that another time.
Econ: So far the only "meh" class. I like the professor and I'm sure I'll learn a lot in this class, it's just probably not going to be one of the courses I'll look back on particularly fondly in future years.
   Shall I continue with some other tales of the past couple of weeks? Well, you don't actually get a say in that. I shall. Let's start with last Friday night (stop right there, no Katy Perry allowed on my blog). A bunch of us got together and took the spiffy new DART line into downtown Dallas. We didn't have a very concrete plan. Since most of us are on tight college student budgets, the idea was simply to go and walk around a nice part of town; see the sights, look in shop windows, skip merrily arm in arm down the sidewalk, that sort of thing. Really we just wanted to A) Get off campus and B) Take our first trip on the DART. After much dilly-dallying, plan-changing and outfit-changing, we eventually got on the train and found ourselves in downtown Dallas. I guess we walked in the wrong direction, because in all honesty, the whole night blew. A couple of nice hotels were the only remotely interesting thing we came across, unless you count tipsy homeless folks as interesting (don't worry, Mom and Dad, we had guys with us). Add to that blisters, tiredness, and zero fun, and it was a crappy night for everyone involved. I have higher hopes for this one, as it'll consist solely of going to First Friday Mass at Cistercian Abbey, with beautiful music from Collegium Cantorum (polyphonic and Gregorian chant choir) as always.
   In other more cheerful news, the year's first night of swing was great! I missed swing dancing so much this summer and it was wonderful to get out there on the floor again, in a spiffing new '50s-style dress to boot. I was initially afraid I'd be awfully rusty but on the whole I think I was absolutely up to par, phew! There were LOADS of people there, a lot of freshmen turned out in addition to the veterans. Over the weeks that number will inevitably go down a bit but it looks to be a good, hoppin' semester for UD swing.
   I have but one more thing to relate, and that is that last night Maria, Dominic, Laura, Anne and I broke into my old dorm (Theresa). It felt almost like going home. Not surprisingly, some typical shenanigans went down. Foosball, frantic chases and attempts to get my wallet back from Anne and Dominic, crazy times in the quiet study room...the usual. Laura and I also met the girl who is now living in our room and #212 looks to be in good hands.

That's all folks! For now, anyway. Next post will be about the English major, why I chose it and why it's important. See you then!

 *Just squeezing in some practice where I can. Google Translate is your friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment